BECOME PART OF THE FORCE THAT IS GROWING SKATING IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA - BE A CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
The Certification for Instructor Candidates runs:
Friday night, April 25th, 6:30pm -9pm (2.5 hours)
Saturday April 26th, 9am-6pm (9 hours if needed, usually ends at 5pm)
Sunday, April 27th, 9am to 6pm ( hours if needed, usually ends by 4pm)
Candidates who do not attend all hours of the certification will not likely pass certification and given the number of hours on skates, we do not recommend that people plan any personal events on Saturday night (this last notation is merely a suggestion)
Cost of Program: $250. (assuming 6 or more sign up). Usually the cost is $300 per person, so this is a great opportunity to get this at a great price.
Registration: You must register online via Skate IA Website (Level 1 certification) Registration must occur soon, no later than March 15th, the sooner you register, the sooner you will get the manual.
Manual: Once you are registered your manual will be sent to your email address, is two parts. 42 pages long. You will want to have read the first half several times prior to the certificaiton as the written exam is based almost entirely on that section.
Skills: There are five required skills and three additional skills you will need to perform. There are videos of these skills on the website, although two skills have changed and they will be updated shortly. A list of the skills is below. You will be tested on all 8 skills and should be able to perform them fairly well. We will work on these skills Saturday morning to help you better achieve the points you need to pass the skills test and as you teach the skills you will also have a chance to practice them.
Examiners: Your senior Examiner will be Trish Alexander and assistant examiner will be Shaun Unwin. They will be both teaching and testing all candidates.
Teach & Demonstrate:
V walk to Basic stride
Heel stop or Toe stop
Lunge Turn - both directions (On the web this is an A-frame turn and it is now a lunge turn)
Parallel Turns - both directions
Backwards skating – swizzles
Crossovers in a circle - both directions
Mohawk transitions – one direction
Pivot Turn or Spin stop – one direction (This pivot turn has been added) You may choose one of these two skills to demonstrate
HERE ARE THE CERTIFICATION WEEKEND DETAILS
Instructor examination program
San Francisco, California Agenda
Church of 8 Wheels, 554 Fillmore - 94117
Fri/ Sat/Sun April 25/26/27, 2014
Friday, 4/25/2014 - Day 1
· Collect waivers and membership forms
· Names and background information
· About Skate Instructors Assoc, why it matters
· Show test points and go over manual
· Basic Technique review: BREW
Saturday, 4/26/14 - Day 2
9am meet at venue
· Gear up (all protective gear required, including Elbow, Knee, Wrist & Helmet – no exceptions
· Basic Skills, review and practice each of the 5 teaching skills and the three Intermediate/Advanced skills.
· Begin practice on the Teaching Model: S.A.P.A.R.S with the Introduction (NAGS, FALLING/BREW)
12:45pm – 5pm (or 6pm)
· Learn how to use 3 + 3s. Practice all five of the teaching skills, each candidate will get a chance to teach each skill.
· How to give feedback so students can hear you
· Incorporating the four learning styles into the lesson
· Practice effective, efficient, fun and safe class management
5pm is set as the end of the day BUT it will occur when all questions are answered and all candidates have had a chance to teach all five skills so it might go until 6pm.
Sunday 4/27/14 – Day 3, Testing Day
10:30-12:15 (Typically we all go to a restaurant/food court and take exam and have lunch together)
12:30 (or until completed)
· Practical teaching exam. Each candidate will teach their assigned skill to two or three other ‘students.’
Graduation for candidates who have passed their exam (80% out of 100% or better in each category). (what happens if I don’t pass skills or teaching exams? You may retake your exam at a later date via YouTube or Skype)
What to bring: